The National Space Society Awards Committee manages a number of awards which are given annually at the International Space Development Conferences. These include awards for individual volunteer effort, awards for NSS chapters, the Space Pioneer Awards, and two significant awards given in alternate years:
- The Robert A. Heinlein Memorial Award, given in even-numbered years (2004, 2006, etc.); the 2006 recipient was General Chuck Yeager.
- The NSS Von Braun Award, given in odd-numbered years (2003, 2005, etc.); the 2005 recipient was Burt Rutan.
NSS also conducted an NSS Banner design contest.
Other scholarships and award activities NSS provides or assists with include:
- NSS-ISU scholarship, worth $12,000, to the International Space University. Application deadline is December 31 of each year, for study in the following year. 2005 recipient was Robert Guinness of St. Louis.
- EURISY international youth science fiction writing competition (NSS provided US support in 2005).
- Permission to Dream from the Space Frontier Foundation is partly sponsored by NSS.