The next meeting of the Phoenix Chapter of the National Space Society will be this coming Saturday at 11:00 AM at the Noble Library (quadrant 5E on the map, on McCalister Mall, about two blocks west of the light rail station near Tyler St).
It will be held in conjunction with the Earth and Space Exploration Day at ASU (10:00 AM – 4:00 PM).
The agenda will cover:
2. More arrangements for Holiday Party. It will be either December 5th or 12th. It will be held at Dave Fischer’s house. We need the physical directions and map to Dave’s house. The time will be from 5pm-?. Veronica Ann is collecting names and what people are bringing. Please email her at: Veronica.Zabala@NSS.org with your RSVP and what you are bringing. There will be a 50/50 raffle at this party! All tickets are as follows:
$1.00 each ticket
$5.00 for 6 tickets
Everyone is encouraged to participate in this raffle. 50% of the proceeds go to the NSS Phoenix Chapter !!!
3. We are currently accepting applications for the following NSS Phoenix Chapter Positions:
Educational Outreach Officer
Please email Veronica Ann if you are interested.
4. We are currently seeking Speakers at our January 2010 Chapter Meeting. Sian Proctor had indicated that she would be interested in giving a talk based on her experiences getting into the Astronaut Corps. Is she still interested and what dates is she available?
5. All Chapter Members are encouraged to seek donations and sponsors for the chapter. If you are interested in helping out, please contact Veronica Ann. We need to start earning revenue for our Chapter to promote education outreach as well as to alleviate costs for upcoming field trips. It is the Chapter President’s hope to also create a scholarship for those interested in going to ISDC 2010.
6. Who is going to ISDC 2010. Thus far, the Chapter President is going and would like to know who else is going?
7. Yuri’s Night 2010: Veronica Ann would like to hold an organizational meeting sometime in January 2010 for the NSS Phoenix Chapter to hold a Yuri’s Night 2010 in the Phoenix Region. We would like to invite the following NSS Affiliates to participate:
The Mars Society
The Planetary Society
The National Space Society
The Moon Society
We need to find a place we can hold the event. Either at a local science center or at a college/university. Does anyone have any ideas?
8. Donate Sci-Fi books! Veronica Ann is collecting all Sci-Fi books to loan schools to promote reading (especially in Science Fiction). If you have any Sci-Fi books that you no longer need, please contact Veronica Ann.
9. All NSS Phoenix Chapter members need to send the Chapter President their updated contact information by the end of October 2009. Please included the following in your email:
Please send this information to: Veronica.Zabala@asu.edu
10. Chapter website update:
How many people have visited our site
From where are people visiting our site from
Any new developments, new features to the site?
11. Chapter dues? Should we begin to incorporate Chapter dues to our Chapter again to help raise funding? if so, does $5.00 every six months sound like a plan? we can collect these Chapter dues January 1st and July 1st of every year.
12. The NSS Chapter needs to get more involved in schools. Veronica Ann would like to know who would be interested in giving lectures about human and robotic space exploration? No experience necessary. Veronica Ann will train! Please contact her for more information and the dates that you may be available to give lectures to school children.
13. Veronica Ann is working to redo the Chapter Bylaws. If you would like to help out and proof the Bylaws, please let Veronica Ann know.
14. Next Chapter Meeting will be held on January 30, 2009, from 11AM – 1PM. Location TBD.
15. Q & A session
16. Reminder that the ASU School of Earth and Space Exploration is holding their Earth & Space Exploration day in front of the Physical Sciences F-wing (across from the library) from 9-3pm. All members are encouraged to participate in this venue after the meeting.
17. Meeting adjourned!