The April 21st meeting of the Phoenix Chapters of the National Space Society and the Moon Society will be at our usual time (11 am) and located at the Humanist Community Center in Mesa (627 W. Rio Salado Blvd (formerly 8th St.), Mesa, AZ, 85201). Our guest will be Donald Jacques author of “EarthSeed: Settling Space in This Generation”, available on Amazon. Link to website: http://earthseed.space/. Donald will talk about his research and development of this project during the meeting. Then we will get to see his new demonstrator in its first ever public appearance.
Previous Meeting and Upcoming Events:
- I like to thank Greg Rucker who led a follow up meeting at the Capitol with AZ House Majority Leader John Allen. Some members with projects, were able to use this kind opportunity to have a follow up meeting with House Majority Leader John Allen. We are grateful for our NSS members here in Arizona who demonstrate their dedication to space. Thank you for being you.
- Web Host Volunteer call to assist with our Puerto Rico Chapter, Its been proposed that their website could be remotely updated by one of our talented members, willing to donate time and skill to updating their website. I believe that we must first look within and utilize our own strengths. This is in its beginning phases and changes may occur. So I put out a call for interested members willing to help. Email me Phyllis.Redhair2012@gmail.com. This is an effort to re-establish updated contact info and possibly an announcement board to reconnect Puerto Rico members who have loss internet, phone, or other communication means. Efforts by NSS so far have been to extend membership for an additional year to help them stay connected.
- Volunteer opportunity for NSS outreach at Comic Fest, please be of service in furthering our cause by promoting space and education. If you would like to participate we were asked by Real Time Steam, who’s mission is to bring science outreach to the public, and on average Comic Fest sees an attendance of 90K people and 10K come through science paneling space. 90K are from all over the state and out of state as well. To be a volunteer requires a commitment to 12-16 hours. This is over the course of the 4 days. (May 24th-27th), which means 3 to 4 hours shifts a day out of the 13 hours the Comic Fest is open. In return they will receive a full event pass, And, the ability to wear anything that supports our organization, this will help us bring any material that can fit on their table to distribute. Please Email me Phyllis.Redhair2012@gmail.com if you would like to assist and support our chapters ability to get our name out there we would greatly appreciate it. Your service commitment is important, please be on time or find a replacement if you find that you are not able to arrive.
See Below for: Chapter member registration discount for the 2018 International Space Development Conference (ISDC) in Los Angeles, California USA, May 23 (for tours and space solar power event) through May 28 (for NSS Board meeting only).
Please read carefully the registration page: chapter contacts save the most by acting right away
Coordinator for International and South-Central USA NSS Chapters
Are You a Member of an NSS Chapter? Act by May 17 for 25% Rebate on ISDC®2018 Registration (Even if not an NSS Member) ISDC® 2018 Prices Go Up April 1: Register First!
Want to Help your Chapter? See Offer No. 1 Below
By Claire McMurray, Chapters Reporter
Offer #1: For Chapter Members who aren’t current or recent NSS members but want to join NSS:
Save money on your ISDC© registration AND earn income for your chapter by joining NSS NOW, before you register for ISDC© Do this at www.nss.org/membership/new_member_form.shtml (NOT on the ISDC© registration). That way your chapter gets half of whatever rate you paid to join NSS. Offer is good any time; it does not require ISDC© registration.
Offer #2: For ALL Chapter member* ISDC registrations before May 17:
*Not a chapter member? Find your nearest chapter at http://chapters.nss.org/a/lists/index.shtml
- Go tohttp://isdc.nss.org/2018/register.shtml and look over the registration options. Prices are at the bottom. Read the instructions carefully, then click on your registration form, usually “Main Registration.” Note that volunteers should contact the Volunteer Leader before registering. Ask about volunteer perks.
- Sections I, II, and III: follow the prompts to enter your personal information. Memberships bought in Section II will NOT earn income for your chapter.
- Section IV, “ISDC Badge Information:”
–Put the name of your chapter in the ‘Company/Affiliation’ box.
–Put ”Chapter Member” or “Chapter Officer” in the ‘NSS Position’ box.
–Select your attendance level, activity, or category in the ‘ISDC Association’ box.
- Section V: ISDC and NSS Donations and Merchandise. If desired, buy from Café Press or donate to ‘Enterprise in Space’ or the NSS Awards here. However, memberships bought here will NOT earn income for your chapter.
- Rebates will be mailed to you after ISDC© 2018 is adjourned and staff have caught their breath.
The Chapters Committee has arranged this special ISDC© 2018 offer with the Conferences Committee because chapter members are very important to NSS. Chapter Awards and recognition are scheduled for the Thursday night dinner.
See you in Los Angeles! and See you Saturday!
NSS Phoenix Chapter President